6.3.08

Settings in this novel which I have found beautiful?Disturbing?Why were these settings meaningful to me?



The island. Thats all I have to say. An island. William Golding is a pure genius I must say. He chose an sunny tropical sandy shore island. Now I imagine a island like that being a oasis of paradise. Don't you see all the commercials on T.V telling you how wonderful these islands are? Telling you that its impossible for you not to enjoy the cool breeze of the coconut tree shading you from the warm sun. Well, William Golding chose this island on purpose which is why I love this setting so much. He portrayed the stereotypical "tropical" island capable of causing extreme grief and misfortune. With this setting, he converted the mellow happy feel of the island into a eerie dark island inhabited by a scary beast. Disturbing, yet delightful at the same time.
This setting is meaningful to me because of my trip to Hawaii. I went to Hawaii with my family a couple years back and I absolutely loved it. I loved how it never got cold and the people were always nice to me. I loved how houses and hotels were situated right next to beautiful beaches and that you were able to gaze upon sunsets easily. I loved Hawaii so much that I chose it as my spot to live in when I become a old man and retire. Hawaii is just so easygoing. The setting in Lord of the Flies reminds me of Hawaii which is why I find it attractive.

1 commentaire:

brybry a dit...

Ohhhh, brilliant. I never thought of Hawaii while I was reading The Lord of the Flies. Now that I read your entry, I am able to make connections between the story and my trip to Hawaii. I've been to Hawaii twice in my life, and yes, it is indeed a splendid place. BUt as you said, people have stereotypes about islands. People think islands are all beautiful, tropical, sunny, peaceful, and more. But William GOlding, as you said, contradicts the stereotype by making the island ( in the novel) into a disastrous and unfavorable place.

I agree with you. I totally agree with you. The island( the setting ) reminds me of Hawaii. However, I couldn't grasp or make a connection with Hawaii because the setting in this story is so different from Hawaii. It's a same island, but different environment. I guess that's why I couldn't make a connection with Hawaii while reading the novel.